Games MDA

 


                                                                    Photo credit: MDA


It's that time of the week again readings. I find I do read a-lot in general but these can be slightly tedious. I feel that's just because they wouldn't be the first thing I would choose to read. It's not to say that i'm not finding it interesting what i'm reading. For this weeks tasks we were assigned to read about Games MDA, which stands for Mechanic, Dynamic and Aesthetic's. 

Both articles that I read went into great detail about Mechanic, Dynamic and Aesthetic's. There was also a video that I found to be extremely informative. It specified that there needs to be a flow. There is a process and without taking the appropriate steps a game process can't function properly. from the first article I read A Formal Approach to Game Design and Game Research by Robin Hunicke, Marc LeBlanc, Robert Zubek. In the article it discusses how MDA is a formal approach to understanding games. It merges the gap between "game design and development, game criticism, and technical game research."

-Mechanics describes the particular components of the game, at the level of data representation and algorithms. 

-Dynamics describes the run-time behavior of the mechanics acting on player inputs and each othersí outputs over time. 

-Aesthetics describes the desirable emotional responses evoked in the player, when she interacts with the game system. 

The following video we were given to watch explaining the MDA design framework. It was discussed how it's important to follow the steps and how if the Mechanics are not done properly it will effect the Dynamic and then just have a domino effect. 

After reading these articles it has given me some food for thought. How will I ensure that my mechanics are correct so they don't then effect the dynamic of the game and so forth. I will have to plan my own game very carefully. 

Below I am going to leave links to websites that can help with some more information regarding MDA.

Links:

1) https://gamedevelopertips.com/mechanics-dynamics-aesthetics-game-design-theory-behind-games/

2) https://medium.com/@jenny_carroll/using-the-mda-framework-as-an-approach-to-game-design-9568569cb7d

3) https://ava-game.com/2018/04/17/mda-in-game-development/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Mel’s Thoughts

Game Idea Research

Game Vision Statement