Game Elements

 During our readings last week it became very clear that gaming and what it is can mean different things for different people. The first article I read was "What are the Qualities of Games?" by Ian Scheiber. In the article it specifies different steps and things designers look into. I feel this is an important element. End of the day you want your players to be engaged and have something to work towards. 

● Players 

● Objectives (goals) 

● Rules 

● Resources and Resource Management 

● Game State 

● Information 

● Sequencing 

● Player Interaction 

● Theme (Narrative, Backstory, Setting) 

● Games as Systems

This article goes into detail on the importance of Critical Analysis and what it entails. I learnt that Critical Analysis is important when developing a piece of work so it can help you improve on different elements of your game. I thought Critical Analysis was where you try to pick out everything wrong but I now know that's not the case. It's beneficial for game developers to get other opinions and know what's working and what isn't.



                                                                 Photo Credit:Gaming

Second article I read was Game Design Research by Annakaisa Kultima. This academic article goes into dept on the importance of knowing the difference between design research and game design research and how they both play an important role. I enjoyed reading this article I feel it made me realise that gaming isn't just about the fun of gaming itself. There is a whole process into the development with regards to the design and how it is made. 

Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Mel’s Thoughts

Game Idea Research

Game Vision Statement