Reading: Game Design

What comes to mind when you think ‘What is a game’. 

One of the first articles I read was “ What is a Game Anyway?”goes in dept about what the meaning of a game is. Everyone will have a different response to what a game is. People have different experiences with gaming. Some finding them easier to grasp then others. Some could find for instance GTA an easy game having to drive around and interact with others while completing tasks and others can find it difficult and lose interest quite easily. 

Another article I read was “The organic Nature of Game Ideation:Game ideas Arise from Solitude and Mature by Bouncing”. One quote from an interview in this article stood out to me “ Game design is an organic process, where one moves according to the situation using related insights and task-specific skills, drawing from their specific experiences in order to end up with quality products”.  I found this interesting because i feel it shows no one game designer is the same or would do the same things when designing a game. Some individuals in the interviews specified how they felt they worked better by themselves and others worked well in small groups. I feel from reading this article it made me realise how easy it is to find inspiration from our normal day to day lives and how it can spark some amazing ideas. Not everyone’s ideas will every be the same and people sometimes tend to draw from their specific experiences. 

Hope you enjoyed this blog post and my thoughts on Game design!


                                     Photo Information: Game controller

Comments

  1. Hi Melissa! your post was very easy to read and you simplified the articles well. I agree that it's interesting that not all game designers are the same and that they all approach designing games differently but I guess that's what makes the games and their designers unique from each other. It's also pretty cool that everyone draws inspiration from different things, everyone really does see the world in their own ways!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melissa, me again. Your post was simple and straight to the point, its interesting to see how others perceive a game, I never really deeped a game when playing it before but now that I am working on my own, I must say fairplay to those game developers out there because it is not easy, i think alot of games are taken for granted even though the developers spent alot of time on them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Mel’s Thoughts

Game Idea Research

Game Vision Statement